Thursday, November 17, 2011

How I take my photos


If there are any of you out there wandering how to create a cheap photo studio, this is how I do it:

On the left hand side I use two adjustable desk lamps with 100W incandescent bulbs.  One doesn't seem to give enough light for me.  I guess I could use one higher wattage light, but this is what I had on hand.

In front of the lamps I put a screen that diffuses the light (this is very important!!).  I use a previously unused silk-screen, but you could also tape some translucent paper to an old frame or to the lamp itself (just be careful the lamp doesn't get to hot!)

On the right hand side I use a large white sketch pad to reflect the light into the areas that would otherwise have a dark shadow.  A better alternative would be a large piece of foam-core, but the pad seems to work fine.

Lastly, to create a seamless background I use a long piece of white paper (I actually used some tracing paper that was sitting around, but plain white paper would be much better!).  Just attach the paper to the wall and let it drape down all the way to the front of the table creating a smooth curve.

It's that simple!

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any photo tips of your own!

No comments: